Circa 1780. A George III mahogany and inlaid shaped knife box, converted to a letterbox in Victorian times. The flat section of the top with an elongated aperture for posting letters, the sloping section with a shaped front framed in boxwood, with a deep frieze and beading beneath. The top is hinged and opens top reveal an uninterrupted interior, to the front is a small diamond shaped escutcheon, the front of the knife box follows the form of the top, with string inlay on all of the uprights and on the serpentine sections on the front.
- 38cm H, 32cm L, 20cm W