Circa 19th century, rare and unusual set of 3 framed pub advertising prints for Campbell and Co., Edinburgh Ales. The prints have the Campbell and Co branding, with a coat of arms of the Royal Warrant in the centre, and ‘Brewers to Her Majesty – By Special Appointment’, with gold lead lettering. The makers name is to the bottom of the print, of ‘J.M. Johnston and Sons Printers, 66 Hatton Gardens, London’. The prints are in gilt frames with cream slips.
Archibald Campbell, senior and junior, ran the Argyle Brewery (est. circa 1710) during the nineteenth century, and later acquired the brewery under the company name of ‘Archibald Campbell, Hope and King Ltd’. They acquired several other breweries over time but ceased trading in the 1970s. Their records are held in the University of Glasgow Archive.
- Size 70cm high x 85cm wide