Circa 1880, set of 6 late Victorian oak chairs. The chairs are stamped with the makers label, ‘J and T Scott, Edinburgh’ who were prominent cabinet makers with shops in George Street and Princes Street. The chairs have an upholstered back and oak frame. They have a large stuffover seat and rounded backs. With their square legs which taper down with a slight kick at the back, they are very much in the Gillow’s style. A simple half round beading continues around the entire chair and the back and frame of the chair is polished. At the front, the legs are ring turned and fluted with tapering beneath. Towards the bottom is a large block and from this the chair is united by an H framed stretcher with various blocks, ring and tapering. Beneath the blocks, the chair has a brass bezel and beneath this, brass and brown porcelain castors.
- Size 95 cm high x 50 cm wide x 50 cm deep