Circa 1820, George IV Scottish mahogany cased grandfather clock by J. Melrose, Edinburgh. With a stylish shaped top with architectural pediment and cast brass rondels. Unusually, the top is a mixture of mahogany and rosewood and the hood has 2 turned columns with brass capitals and bases. The face has been handpainted with flowers in each corner, the makers name of J. Melrose, Edinburgh with an artistic licence of a castle, a bridge and figures on the top, and it has steel hands. Beneath the hood are various moulded edges/curves and the main door is in flame mahogany, and has been cross banded in rosewood with a stylish Heraldic escutcheon. There are fluted quarter columns on each side of the door and beneath it a small fielded panel with classic Scottish beading and a flame mahogany panel in that. Beneath this are ogee mouldings and the bottom panel of the clock has a flame mahogany panel which is cross banded in rosewood. There is another simple moulding and beneath this it stands on squat bracket feet.
It is serviced and working.
- 210 cm high x 49 cm wide x 25 cm deep