Circa 1740, George II burr walnut and walnut herringbone crossbanded bureau. The top has herring bone and walnut banding, over the flap with similar banding, matching veneers both left and right and a stylish cast brass heraldic escutcheon. The herringbone banding is broken in the centre by a small applied moulding which would have been used to hold reading material when the bureau was closed. The flap opens to reveal a very stylish interior with walnut veneer on the inside flap, a herringbone crossbanded well, and slides back to reveal an oak interior. There is a concave central door opening to reveal a drawer and flanked by twin fluted columns which are concealed drawers, and an arrangement of small drawers with brass knob handles and pigeon holes. The lower part of the bureau has a long drawer over two short drawers and then two further long graduated drawers all with herringbone crossbanding, stylish heraldic brass escutcheons and similar handles. There is a moulding which runs around the front and sides. The gables have matching veneers and are crossbanded. Beneath the bottom drawer is a simple ogee moulding and the whole piece stands on bracket feet. It is hard to find bureaus of this age without some alterations – this bureau retains most of its original colour and is in very good condition with only minor alterations.
- 111cm high x 99cm wide x 58cm deep.