Circa 1918, large shipbuilder’s half model of the S.S Brenda.
The model is painted black to the waterline and pink below, with a four blade propeller, bilge keels and accommodation ladder slung overside, with plated metal fittings and details including anchor, cable and windlass, cargo winches, ventilators, open bridge with wheel and binnacle, in a period mirror back mahogany display case with an ivorine builder’s plaque for Craig, Taylor & Co. Stockton on Tees.
The SS Brenda was a 397 ton steam cargo ship of 397 tons measuring 325 Feet and originally launched in 1918 as the SS Maindy Dene for Maindy Shipping Co Ltd. (Jenkins, Richards & Evans, Cardiff). She was sold to Frederick Dawson Ltd. Newcastle in 1922 and renamed Lady Brenda. In 1934 she was sold to the Russian Merchant Navy and renamed the SS Sukona. She was torpedoed and sunk by German aircraft on September 13th 1942 en route to Northern Russia.
- 84cm high x 246cm long x 28cm deep.