George III mahogany and brass bound hexagonal wine cooler, from Edinburgh. The hinged lid is above plain panels with three brass bands and side carrying handles. The stand has square tapering legs headed by brackets and ending in brass castors.
This pattern of wine cooler is peculiar to Edinburgh. Its small identifying features are the ‘hollow brackets’ at the tops of the legs and the astragal moulding on the lid and bottom of the frame. They were designed for use in the dining room, unlike the rectangular lockable ‘liquor case’ or ‘guarduvin’ that was used for drawing room drinking or simply secure storage of bottled alcohol anywhere in the house. This wine cooler compares favourably with the example made by the firm of Young & Trotter of Edinburgh and supplied to Newhailes, Midlothian in 1787.
- 71cm high 48cm wide x 41.5cm deep